Fresh Fruit vs. Dried Fruit
We think it's pretty obvious that we love fruits! Not only are they delicious, but they're full of essential nutrients and health benefits. While fresh fruit has long worn the crown for healthiness, dried fruit has been catching up in popularity over recent years. We support and encourage fruit consumption in any way you prefer, but we wanted to explore the main differences for your consideration.
Fresh Fruits: Fresh fruits are a delight to the senses. Bursting with flavors, colors, and textures, they provide a refreshing and hydrating experience. Here are some benefits of consuming fresh fruits:
- They have a high water content, which helps keep you hydrated and promotes healthy digestion.
- They are a great source of essential vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber. They offer a wide range of antioxidants that help protect against diseases and boost overall health.
- They offer a unique sensory experience, providing a crisp and juicy texture that cannot be replicated by dried alternatives.
Fresh fruits are at their best when they're in season and harvested at their peak ripeness. They also have a limited shelf life and need to be eaten or refrigerated in a timely manner to prevent spoilage.
Dried Fruits: Dried fruits are fruits that have had their water content removed through drying processes such as sun drying or dehydration. They offer a concentrated burst of flavor and can be enjoyed on the go. Here are some benefits of dried fruits:
- Dried fruits retain most of the nutrients found in fresh fruits, including vitamins, minerals, and fiber. They are an excellent source of energy and can provide a quick pick-me-up.
- They have an extended shelf life compared to fresh fruits, making them a convenient option for snacking or when fresh options are not readily available.
- They are compact and lightweight, making them ideal for travel, hiking, or adding to various dishes like salads, trail mixes, and baked goods.
Some dried fruits may contain added sugars or preservatives to enhance taste and extend shelf life. It's important to read labels and choose options without excessive additives. That's why Fruit For Thought makes sure to produce dried fruit products with nothing added. Simple, one-ingredient snacks with all the flavor and nutrients and nothing fake.
Dried fruits are also more calorie-dense than their fresh counterparts due to the removal of water. Portion control is crucial to avoid overconsumption.
There's no denying you'll benefit either way! Check out our other blog posts to find ways to incorporate dried fruits into some of your favorite recipes and snacks.